Monday, December 13, 2010

Grandma's French Onion Soup Recipe

I know I can't be helped and my addiction creates wonderful recipes that my family loves. I am guilty of being a perfectionist and that I always look for the perfect recipe for everything.
So after years of experimenting, I came up with a polished recipe for the best Onion Soup you'll ever had. I am guilty of mixing only the best quality ingredients like Gruyere cheese and the best butter money can buy.
I am also responsible in passing along this addiction to perfect soup. Write down or print this recipe and keep in mind that people who taste it will love it and will ask for more. After that, they will do whatever they can to get a hold on the recipe for them.
Try this at home. You will join my ranks.

Onion soup

Ingredients
10 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
3 Cups of shredded Gruyere cheese
1 quart beef broth
6 slices French bread, toasted
1/2 Tsp. dry mustard
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 Tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tsp. dried thyme
1/3 Cup of butter
1 (12 fluid oz.) can or bottle beer
1 bay leaf
Directions
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add the onions and cook them until brown. Careful not to overcook because soup will go bitter. 15 minutes will do.
Add the the garlic in and cook 1 minute. Now stir in the beer and beef broth and season with, thyme, the bay leaf, black pepper and mustard. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover the saucepan and let simmer 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 °F.
Remove bay leaf from soup. Get an individual ovenproof bowls ready and and ladle soup into them. Don't fill them to the top because we still have to add the cheese. Top soups with slices of toasted bread and pile generously with Gruyere cheese.
Put into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
If you would like to see more onion soup recipes like this one, then please check here: French Onion Soups